Boiler under gassed - AT RISK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Valliant ECOTEC 831 boiler installed 2 years ago. At the 1 year service the boiler man said the appliance was under gassed. The pressure at the meter was 20.4mb but when all appliances (I also have a gas hob) are in operation the pressure at the boiler is 14mb.

The boiler guy put an AT RISK notice on the boiler and turned it off.

He said I should increase the size of the pipes, the problem is that the boiler is quite far from the meter and runs almost exclusively underground or under the floor. There is a small section exposed about halfway between the meter and the boiler so at best I can 'easily' replace about 2-3 meters. But I am not sure this will help much.

Looking at the commissioning checklist the engineer noted the gas rate was 3.18. Where it refers to pressure he made a note (which I can't quite make out) that looks like it says F/SET or P/SET but he didn't record the pressure.

I have a few questions and hope you guys can help me.

1. Is it illegal to continue using the boiler if it is AT RISK?
2. Should the engineer that installed the boiler have checked (and fixed) the gas supply? If so do I have any legal recourse?
3. Is there anything else I can do that would avoid me having to rip up the floor boards to replace the pipes?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it's not affecting the boiler i.e fga tests ok it should be ncs

1. Is it illegal to continue using the boiler if it is AT RISK?
2. Should the engineer that installed the boiler have checked (and fixed) the gas supply? If so do I have any legal recourse?
3. Is there anything else I can do that would avoid me having to rip up the floor boards to replace the pipes?

Thanks!

No its not illegal to use, which is why the boiler is only turned off by the controls but its not advised to use.

The engineer should have installed it leaving a 1mb drop. He should have sorted that from the start.

If you have a wall the a gas pipe can be run externally, then you can do that otherwise there is no other option sadly

You hardly need to 'rip' the floorboards up as they were taken up when the pipe was installed. Not a big job then is it?

Sponsored Links
There is an external wall that can connect the meter and the boiler. I wasn't sure if you could have it running against a wall or if it had to be covered?

Any idea how much it would cost to have that done?

You hardly need to 'rip' the floorboards up as they were taken up when the pipe was installed. Not a big job then is it?

I don't follow. Only the boiler was replace and attached to the existing pipes. since the pipes were installed the bathroom has been tiled so I would think it would be a big job.

what are the kw ratings and Co2 readings from the engineer that turned it off?

I don't follow. Only the boiler was replace and attached to the existing pipes. since the pipes were installed the bathroom has been tiled so I would think it would be a big job.

Oh sorry. My crystal ball is broken.

OP look he has turned it off because its not right, ring an RGI or the installer an advise them. the installer will just say it was ok when i tested it!! good luk ;)

that only depends if it does not effect the hob flame picture when it fires up, if it does id class it as ID

The guy checked the hob flames and they didn't show any effect when the boiled fired up. I remember because he said at the time if they did he would have to disconnect it.

Does that make it At Risk or Not up to current standards then?

that only depends if it does not effect the hob flame picture when it fires up, if it does id class it as ID

The guy checked the hob flames and they didn't show any effect when the boiled fired up. I remember because he said at the time if they did he would have to disconnect it.

Does that make it At Risk or Not up to current standards then?

if it was me i would say ncs if all checks are ok and NOT affecting other appliances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back