Boiler was losing pressure now seems to be stable?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had my floorboards replaced in kitchen last week and then next day had no hot water and pressure was at zero on combi boiler so my immediate thought is they have nicked a pipe.Refilled boiler back to 1.5. (Don't know if it's makes a difference but one of the radiators has been removed off the system sinceApril as we are in the middle of works so was capped off.)

Floorboard Company came back and checked for any leaks but was a very quick visual check underneathand said everything was fine and it's a boiler issue so get a heating engineer to have a look. For next 3 mornings pressure was at zero and so have been refilling the system. Sometimes I ve had to do this twice in the day.
After the third morning (yesterday) my own plumber came to put the radiator back on, so drained the sytem bled all radiators etc. Today the pressure hadn t dropped as much say from 1.2 to 1 but I did noticed there was air in the top bathroom radiator(even after plumber bled them all the day before) which I then bled and refilled system.

Ideal came out later today and checked boiler and everything is fine, heat exchanger, pressure vessel etc. The pressure on the boiler has been stable all day.

Any ideas what may have occurred? Has a constant dripping leak turned into a very slow drip perhaps. Having the floorboard company out again tomorrow to do a more thorough check, but if there's no sign of a leak they will charge me for putting the boards down again! If there is a leak will be at their cost but as the system seems stable now doubting whether to get them to lift the boards.
Anything seem obvious what could have caused the issue, air in system, radiator capped off for a few months? Just a massive coincidence problems started after boards were replaced.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Pressure held overnight and no air in top radiators. Thinking now that there was a small leak at the capped of radiator and now since radiator has been put back on its all sealed again. One of the capped off pipes did have some blue/green staining on but couldn't t see any damp patch near it but could be that one of the builders just knocked it?!
Other than that thinking a bit of sludge could have blocked up the leak after the system was drained and re filled.

Your floorboard guys could have disturbed something. If all is well now then don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it for a while.

Sponsored Links
Think it's on track for losing about 0.5 in a week so small drip somewhere. Will prob end up getting pipe work replaced in Autumn by our plumber as it's the micro bore piping we have, so maybe easier just to get in done rather than hunting for the leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back