Boiler Will Not Ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The boiler I have is an Apollo 30/50B gas boiler. This was bought back in 1985, yes 1985. We have had no trouble with it at all. Only needing to replace the thermocouple a few times. I don't use the boiler during summer months, just use hot electric ketteles.

Due to the colder weather, went to switch it on a few days ago. Pilot light was off, thought draught might have put it out. Tried to relight it, no joy. Thinking was therocouple needing to be replaced. Got a new one off Ebay. Took old one out, no hole in it or burnt out. Put new one in, will still not ignite pilot light. We had a think, could it be the gas valve needing to be replaced? Any opinions would be welcome.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the flame will not light then their may be no gas coming out of the pilot light !

Or if the piezo ignition is still working then it may not be sparking at the ignition point.

Of course these are all matters which should be dealt with a competent CORGI.

Tony

if the pilot lights, but goes out when you release the gas vlv button then apart from the gas valve you could have a partially blocked pilot or faulty overheat stat. (If this model has one)

Dave

Apollo has o/h stat in series with the t/couple.

Had to replace an o/h stat the other week.

You need an RGI to test for continuity etc and the gas valve.

Sponsored Links
In the past the t/couplers that were replaced did they 100% get the right ones and do it correctley.Ive been too 2 this week were they had been fitted with uni t/couplers and just joined the overheat stat cables together and left for 4 years and 18 months i cant see the point,its dangerous and for what?

If the flame will not light then their may be no gas coming out of the pilot light !

Or if the piezo ignition is still working then it may not be sparking at the ignition point.

Of course these are all matters which should be dealt with a competent CORGI.

Tony
cheers.

In the past the t/couplers that were replaced did they 100% get the right ones and do it correctley.Ive been too 2 this week were they had been fitted with uni t/couplers and just joined the overheat stat cables together and left for 4 years and 18 months i cant see the point,its dangerous and for what?
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back