Boiler with no controls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help.

I have a combi boiler, which lives in the padlocked outside cupboard of my new house (under the stairs). It is only accessible by going outside.

I have a thermostat in the hall, which doesn't seem to work. At the moment I have the heating set on timer (the timer is on the boiler itself), but if I want to over-ride it, I have to go outside (in the rain) and set the boiler to "on all the time". This is of course quite annoying, but what's worse is when you're in bed and you've forgotten to turn it off.... I'm sure the neighbours are starting to think I'm strange wondering around in my dressing gown after dark!

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way I can solve my problem? I guess ideally I'd like a controller in the house that allows me to turn the heating on and off when i want, and set the timer.

I'm ok with electrics, but no expert, so any detailed advice people can give me would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
All combie boilers will have a set of terminals to use for a room stat. You can also connect a timer in series with the stat and boiler, or simply use a programmable room stat.

There are wireless versions available (a mains powered box is fitted adjacent to the boiler, and the stat placed in the house (battery powered). There are several makes of these.

Does the cable from the stat in the hall go to the combie??

Also, be aware, many combie boiler control circuits (including the stat) may operate at ELV - volt free contacts are therefore required in the stat and/or timeclock.

Hi Lectrician,

Thanks for your advice. I'm not totally sure the thermostat is connected, and I'm not sure how to find out!

Can you recommend a decent wireless make?

I'm also not overly familiar with ELV....

Sponsored Links
ELV == Extra low voltage. This is definded as < 50 VAC IIRC, but the point here, is that it's not mains. And quite a lot of heating crontrols (particularly programmers) output signals for CH on, CH off etc, at 230 VAC. This would kill parts of the boiler.

For every brand of CH control equipment, you'll find at least 10 plumbers who love them, and ten that hate them.

Good brand generally seem to be sunvic, danfoss randall, honeywell, to name but 3.

The RF versions of these would probably be suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back