Boiler wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a boiler... gloworm Space Saver 50 ... old I know... But the only problem I have with it is it wont turn off and I have to manually turn it on!

So.... pilot ignition is fine... but even if the programmer is timed not to come on for heat and or water, it fires up.. I have changed the controller and put all the timings in it.. but it wont turn off or on!!!

All the rads are thermostatically controlled and the frost stat sits next to the boiler which is externally housed in what I call the boiler room. I have checked the stat, and the microswitch seems to be ok...... but now I am wondering are the valves stuck (open) or do I replace the stat, in which case I want to relocate it to inside the house and replace the rads......

Getting desperate now... going outside at 5am to power this heap up is driving me nuts!!!! Its now like poking a dead frog with a stick!

Sponsored Links
Hot water is fine, but like the heating I have to manually turn the boiler on... At the moment everything is off including pilot light.. and if I want heat or hot water I have to go and turn thw whole system on .... :(

is it the part that is like a pin on a spring which I assume pushes the valve open or withdraws to close??

Yes thats it. If its stuck on your boiler will call for heat all the time. Can you turn it to the off position?

Sponsored Links
Well if its not the mechanicals of the valve but the electrical side,pulling back against the spring resistance should turn it off. If that stops the boiler calling for heat that's the problem. You can just buy the top electrical parts of the valve. A bit more comp if you need to change the whole thing. Not sure if this is the problem yet. It just sounded to me like a sticking valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back