Heating wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had thermostat problems so replaced it and it now clicks, however the heating would go on when i put the thermostat up even though it was turned off at the programmer.So i replaced the programmer and it seemed to work fine initially however it now will not turn off when i switch it off at the programmer or when i turn the stat down, i have to switch it off at the mains.The hot water works fine going on and off when selected.I have a boiler in the garage and wall stat in the hall, i also have a drayton three way valve under the hot water tank and a grundfos pump aswell.Any ideas?

regards

Sponsored Links
It's quite possible that the three port is not fully closing so your getting hot water still passing by the valve even tho it's supposedly off. But saying that, have you got the hot water switched on or off when your still getting heating?

The hot water is off.I dont think the wiring is wrong as it has worked for the last six months i have been in my house.
cheers

Sponsored Links
if you are saying both ch & dhw are off, boiler fires giving you ch. it is most likely wired incorrectly.

this is dependent upon which boiler you have fitted.

Ok, here goes, both are off then i turn on dhw and the boiler fires up, then i turn it off and it goes off.No problems when using the timer with hot water either.Central heating is off and when i turn it on the boiler is firing up when the thermostat is at 25ish when i turn the stat down to 10 it stays on and also stays on when i turn it off using the wall programmer.The only way it turns off is with the main switch.hope this helps

It has to be wired wrong, or a connection either in wiring centre or on back of programmer is loose an touching somet it shouldn't do. the electrical side is like one big circuit. you break supply you lose power, your by-passing controls somehow. hence incorrect or badly fitted connection

could it not be that there is a wiring fault but it has only recently come to light now that you are using the heating ?

Hi what type of motorised valves do you have?.
Could be one of your valves is stuck open which would keep micro switch closed and could give you the symptoms you describe.

Could be one of your valves is stuck open which would keep micro switch closed and could give you the symptoms you describe.

then it wouldnt stay off when power was reinstated, I think wired wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back