Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a split load CU with the boiler circuit on the non
RCD side. when the boiler itself is turned on it trips the RCD? Is there a problem with the boiler? Should it still trip the RCD?

Sponsored Links
is it on its own mcb? sounds like the neutral is connected to the rcd neutral, not the non rcd neutral

If the boiler supply is on it's own circuit then it is quite possible the Neutral is in the RCD protected Neutral thus causing an imbalance in the RCD coil.

EDIT: Pah!.......too slow :LOL:

it has its own mcb, would you say it wouldn't trip out if the neutral was on the non rcd side?

Sponsored Links
yes.

and rcd works by detecting an imbalance, hence check where the neutrasl is connected to

ill check where they have connected the neutral. cheers.

I've had the problem of stuff on the non-RCD side of the CU tripping the RCD even when neutrals are correctly parked.

Pesky TN-C-S systems...

What do you put that mechanism down to securesparks?

Pesky TN-C-S systems :LOL:

I have also some fun with RCD's tripping when appliances on the non-rcd are used.......between buildings on seperate supplies too!

It was the neural that had been put on the RCD side. is it something inside the boiler that causes an imbalance?

well no, its just that there is an imbalence through the rcd
in that there is more current coming back through the neutral than going out on the live, if you understand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back