CH Boiler tripping RCD

Prenticeboy,
I did not "expect" anything, I certainly did not expect anyone to solve the problem for me, I was simply asking people for their thoughts at the point when I initially thought it was the boiler. What I go annoyed about was the condescending and sarcastic attitude from some people. It’s possible to say that you don’t agree with someone without taking a confrontational attitude.

I am not just claiming that the system is now safer, I can 100% guarantee it. If you had seen the state of it I am sure you would agree – I don’t think that there is any chance that it was fitted by an electrician, or it had at least been modified by the previous owner given the way that circuits were doubled up on to MCB’s and the red wire wrapped around the earth connections on the CU under the house where the problem was.

Sponsored Links
I have no doubt that you have made certain improvements, but still you should know as a maintenance electrician that testing is fundamental part of both installing from new and fault finding.
You maybe able to 100% guarantee that certain aspects of the system are safer but without actually proving it via testing, how can you be sure that you have not put a fault on to the system that was not there previously?
How do you know that your Zs is compliant to the breakers you have installed, how do you know the RCDs that you say are making the system safer, actually operate correctly?
I am not being sarcastic or condescending, the truth is you don't really know if the system is any safer.
Like I have mentioned previously, I wont knock a bloke or a lass for having ago him/herself. But safety is and always will be paramount! I would not put myself, my Missus, family, friends, property, neighbours etc.. in possible danger through my negligence, for the sake of either doing the job right and proving it or trying to save £300-400

This is going round in circles. I am sure the system is safer, and I would not put anyone at risk. There is a massive difference between you working in a customers house and me working in my own as I am here every day and can easily inspect a day, a week after etc whereas you need to ensure before you walk away that everything is 100% ok for the weeks and months afterwards. I wouldnt do this work in someone elses house. I can only work with the equipment I have and I still test, I just do it in different ways.

Look at this another way. The average Joe only calls an electrician when something goes wrong such as breakers tripping and as nothing as went 'wrong' in this house the system would have remained in the same condition as when I moved in. By working on the electrics myself, I have identified a poor earth, traced it to discover that the connected earth from the Utility was redundant, fitted an RCD to mitigate the risk of the poor earth while I figure out what to do about the earthing issue, seperated circuits which were doubled up on MCB's on to appropriately sized MCB's, discovered a fault in the outside lights which were tripping the newly fitted RCD and are now disconnected and discovered a badly wired fusebox under the house which is now replaced. If you dont think the house is safer after all of that then we will have to agree to disagree.

Apart from inspection, testing & certification. Did you do those when you "worked in electrical maintenance in industry"?

I've worked in electrical maintenance in industry and I fully understand the concepts involved.
So you should know the values of testing then?

We will beg to differ, then. You have convinced yourself it is no less safe and that no one is being put at risk.

Sweet dreams.

Sponsored Links
Just as you've convinced yourself that Electricians are the only people who know anything about electrical safety - sweet dreams yourself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back