Boilermate ii gledhill boiler buzzing

Hi newbie here but im very electrically/mechanically minded, my mates boilers doing the dreaded clicking, ive checked yes its the bottom board so ive yet to replace the capacitors as spoken about elsewhere here,but when it fires up the kitchen heater stays on continuous also but no hot water/heating and clanking/clicking noise at heater in kitchen,(its a potterton) ,sounds like expanding water in pipes? next to the dreaded Boilermate 2,the top pumps very hot whilst bottom pumps cool? will fixing the bottom board (delay timer) rectify this? thanks love this site:)

Sponsored Links
The only sure fix for Boilermates, Pulasacoils and all other similar products is to relocate them into a skip.

I have boilermate 2 and had the same issue. The delay timer PCB was buzzing so after reading in the forum that the capacitors were at fault, i sourced the 2 units and fitted the first capacitor to the delay timer only for the buzzing to remain. I then thought could the pump PCB be causing the issue, so took the PCB off only for it to disintegrate as I did so, due to heat damage. I made a temporary repair and ordered a new PCB at £76 and then fitted that. However the buzzing remained so had to bite the bullet and buy a new delay timer PCB too at £69.
So please don't think that replacement capacitors WILL solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
maybe getting a breakdown engineer could have saved you money on pcb's ;)

Engineer £50 call out plus hourly rate plus parts . One PCB was definitely dead and the other had a fault so an engineer would have cost much more.

Im sure Gledhill dont put on a pump control pcb for fun now do you?
The pump had a habit of burning out the main pcb if it went belly up. This could be got around by fitting a simple £5 relay from Maplin to switch in the pump, isolating it from the pcb circuitry. I suspect this pump pcb is there primarily to stop the expensive main pcb burning out.

Last edited:
The only sure fix for Boilermates, Pulasacoils and all other similar products is to relocate them into a skip.
A friend I know has had Boilermate for over 15 years with only one problem ever - a Grundfos pump burnt out. It think it is a Boilermate 2000, a big grey highly insulated box with all inside - quite neat. They love it, giving lots of high pressure hot water and no tanks in the loft - well this is fitted in the loft, saving space in the house below.

The problem with Boilermates is that the average plumber does not understand them, never mind diagnose a simple problem. They are simple enough. Down to total ignorance. They know nothing of how to test the electronics or temp sensors, even if they do figure out its operation. Some new build estates were fitted with them. When a problem some home owners went to the local plumber who then suggested to rip them out, with derogatory comments about them, putting in tanks in the loft - when all they needed was new stats, temp sensors, new pcb or whatever, simple and cheap jobs.

I know electricians who wire up wall mounted TVs, hanging the TVs, wiring up the lot. Would anyone sane go to an electrician if the TV was faulty? They would not. It is always best to go to men who understand and maintain Boilermates, not general plumbers.

A friend I know has had Boilermate for over 15 years with only one problem ever
There's always one.

The problem with Boilermates is that the average plumber does not understand them,
The real problem is that Boilermates and similar products is they are solutions looking for problems that don't exist.
Nobody needs one and there are no advantages in having one.

when all they needed was new stats, temp sensors, new pcb or whatever, simple and cheap jobs.
Parts which are typically not cheap, and are only required if someone was foolish enough to buy one of the things in the first place.

Most of this thread is from many years ago.

Nobody needs one and there are no advantages in having one.
If you cannot see the advantage of a DHW or full thermal store you should not be in the game. The Boilermates were all in one highly insulated box, just need to connect up the box, the thinking is done for you. Simple to fit. No space consuming tanks or cylinders to install in small British homes. Boilermates provide high pressure mains DHW. The DHW coils are so big they will take all of a boiler's output, ensuring high efficiency condensing operation. They even use one of the pumps as a shunt pump to get more heat into the cylinder. They even modulate the DHW pump speed to maintain the DHW setpoint. They are very clever.

Your response confirms my previous post.

The problem with Boilermates is that the average plumber does not understand them, never mind diagnose a simple problem. They are simple enough. Down to total ignorance.
Rubbish...They are usually shoe horned into a cupboard,,,you cannot reach anything, they leak,pumps seize,,they are a disaster..Nothing to do with ignorance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back