Boiling tap spout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...I have a Qettle boiling tap and the spout is very hard to swivel. There is a lot of limescale in my water but this feels and sounds like a rubber seal squeaking and binding. Tried to remove the cap (arrowed) with stilsons an a piece of rubber but it won`t move. Any ideas please. Boiling Tap.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try wrapping in kitchen towel and soaking with White vinegar or better still a descaler like Limelite or Viakal left overnight. Then rinse off and run the tap a couple of times to clear any remaining descaler.
Should ease removal or even clear the problem.

Thanks for your reply I've tried viakal and white vinegar, it does free it slightly but after a day or so it stiffens again
Do you know if the collar is screwed on or pressed in?

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for that. Shows me that I was rightly trying to unscrew the collar (trim) . I just can't shift it with rubber wrapping and stilsons (y)

Thanks a lot for that. Shows me that I was rightly trying to unscrew the collar (trim) . I just can't shift it with rubber wrapping and stilsons

Short piece of a suitably sized cord, or rope, tie the two ends together, with a tight knot, to form a loop, with enough length to pass around the collar a few times. One end of loop over wrapped, put a screwdriver/spanner/spoon through the outer end of the loop, to act as a lever. The more leverage you apply, the tighter it will grip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back