Bolier help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but wondered if anyone can help with this.

I have a glow worm micron 50ff boiler which keeps needing to be reset about 10 mins after the heating kicks in. Just before this there is a rushing noise in a downstairs radiator (no trv) and in the pipes that go into the boiler. It does this twice during a 90 minute period while the heating is on.

I have bled all the radiators in the house and they are all fine.

The problem started after I changed a radiator upstairs and ended up draining the water in the heating system from the outside valve.

Could there still be air in the system? or is there some sludge in there?

Any ideas of what the problem is and what needs to be done?

many thanks

M

Sponsored Links
It does sound like air in the system.

If this occasionally fills the pump the flow of water through the boiler could slow enough to make it overheat.

I can only think of bleeding the pipes anywhere you can find a compression joint at a high level and definitely bleed the pump a few times.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175736&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=8

Is there inhibitor in the heating water?

Thanks,

But I tried it a few times and the problem still remains and one of the downstairs radiators has a tinkling/rushing noise in it.

Is there any other way to get the air or sludge out of the system?

No inhibitor by the way.

Check the feed & expansion tank has water in it first, then try bleeding a radiator at the highest point if the tank is full.

If you end up with no air or water coming out, you have a blockage in the cold fill pipe where it tees into the system pipework.

If in doubt you could also drain some water from the system and see if the F&E tank is filling at the same time.

Sponsored Links
since my last post I have had a powerflush done, pump checked (working well) but still problem exists.

The boiler is a gloworm micron 50ff. When the hot water is on on its own the boiler works ok, when the heating and hot water are on together the boiler works ok, but when the heating is on by its own it goes to reset once or twice during the course of an hour cycle. There is a rushing sound in the pipes which go into the boiler. All the radiators work well and there are no noises elsewhere.

Could it be a water pressure problem? or anything else?

Place a bowl under the pump and undo the cap in the middle. You may have to leave it for a good few minutes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back