Bolt croppers to shorten machine screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use bolt croppers to shorten machine screws or would that destroy the end of the thread, preventing them from being screwed in?

Sponsored Links
better with a hacksaw

but whatever you do use double nuts on the side you want tightened together to put in the vice to hold firmly
then when you remove them they will clean the threads

i personaly use my dewalt 18v angle grinder ;)

I also have an angle grinder. I'll try that but if it turns out too cumbersome for me (I mean, if I'm too clumsy with it), I can try the hacksaw. Thanks also for the tip re: cleaning the thread with by putting nuts on first. :)

Not really, would destroy the thread and shape of the screw.
What size screw is it, if its only small ones, electrical crimpers can shear them.

Sponsored Links
If I need a fair amount, all the same length, I drill and tap a plate of the thickness of the thread length required.
simple matter of screwing machine screws into plate, using hacksaw to cut off excess protruding, then finish off with a fine file, result? all the screws same length, and with square ends.

Wotan

Personally, I just get the wife to bite the bolts to length :evil:

Or buy the the right size to begin with. :confused:

Too obvious?

I'll get me overalls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back