Shield bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, I'm at a loss as to what we are doing wrong.
Trying to fit a ground anchor using shield bolts. 10mm bolt, 16mm drill. Tapping the bolt (screwed into the body of the shield) into the hole result in the shield part falling to pieces in the hole (the end shoots off). We just can't get it in. One we did nearly get in but the the bolt goes round & round as though thread is stripped. Hope someone can tell us where we're going wrong. Thanks.
-H

Sponsored Links
The hole should be just big enough to SLIDE the anchor bolts in, forcing them in, as you have found out, will stop them working.

Ah I see. So even though we bought the recommended size drill bit it is not making the hole large enough :( will it be ok to use the next size up? Thank you very much for your reply.
-H

As long as it's not too big...

They should slide in, maybe a bit of persuasion but not too much. And if you are going to tap them with a hammer then DON'T do it with the bolt in otherwise it will all give way

Sponsored Links
Next size I expect will be to big. Assuming there are several holes, how accurately are they drilled, last time I used expanding bolts I ended up ovaling the holes in the thing I was mounting to get it to all go together.

Daniel

Next size I expect will be to big. Assuming there are several holes, how accurately are they drilled, last time I used expanding bolts I ended up ovaling the holes in the thing I was mounting to get it to all go together.

Daniel

We haven't successfully got one out of the four in yet, let alone checked to see if we've got them in the right place for the plate! More fun to come then ;)
Had to leave it for today while we did something else but will be back on it on Wednesday

-H

Sounds like the drill dust is stopping them. Drill a bit deeper as you can't really drill too deep (the bolt grips on the sides) and see how you get on.

Drill the correct size hole for the rawlplug, tap the shield into the hole then enter the bolt. You may need to pull the bolt slightly with a claw hammer to pull the cone tight into the shield to stop it turning. Using the bolt to drive the shield in knocks the cone out of the shield.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back