Bolt down Met Post Shoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a 7.2m length of closeboard fencing between my property and my next door neighbour's. It will be around 1m high.

At either end I intend to concrete posts into the ground as they will be going into soil. However, the middle two posts will be between mine and my neighbour's paths. As I don't want to make a complete mess of either path I am thinking about using bolt down met posts.

My question is, how securely do met post shoes hold posts? I can imagine that there might be some significant movement at the top of the fence, especially when the timber starts to dry out and shrink. I realise that the post shoes can be tightened up but still think there will be a lot more movement than concreting the posts in. Would shims work to increase the tightness in the post shoe?

If they are a waste of time I would rather make some holes in my path and make good afterwards.

Sponsored Links
I use them (4"x4") to support a 6 foot panel with trellis on top (8 foot posts) and they work just fine. It's on top of a concrete retaining wall so had to use bolt-downs.
I would recommend you use the galvanised (silver) ones rather than the red/brown coloured ones as I did have a problem of them rusting right through and the fence falling over although the timber posts in them were fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back