Metal Bolt Down fence Post shoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fence in the back garden has completely rotten. I want to completely renew myself but that is not the problem. The posts have completely broke off flush with the concrete bases, which are in solid. There is no room to relocate the posts in concrete elsewhere due to next door neighbours patio. I have heard of metal repair spikes that you drive into into the existing timber but have also heard of high failure rates.

I know you can use these on a patio or footpath but Is it possible to use Bolt down fence shoe brackets on the existing concrete bases if you cut the post flush to the concrete and then fill the space below the bracket with concrete in the space beneath this to make it level?

Sponsored Links
Yes in theory.

Trouble is, you don't know how strong the original concrete is and I doubt you will have a good thickness of concrete around where each bolt hole needs to go. You would also need to smash off the top layer of existing concrete to get a good clean layer for the new stuff to bond to.

You also need to get the rotten wood out and fill the void with concrete. If you just concrete over the top you have a risk of freeze cracking in winter.

I've dug out a fair few in my time. It's not that bad with the right tools.

That said, there are other options:

If using standard panels, you could start with a (cut down) half panel.

If using post and rail, you can vary the position of the posts to suit.

Trouble is, you don't know how strong the original concrete is and I doubt you will have a good thickness of concrete around where each bolt hole needs to go. You would also need to smash off the top layer of existing concrete to get a good clean layer for the new stuff to bond to.

Yeah i think this would be the biggest problem, alternatvely could I just buy one of the repair spurs, and pour concrete into and around the post to reinforce it?

Sponsored Links
Yes you could. You need to be accurate with your positioning so make sure you can reattach the panels before concreting it in. Another pair of hands will make it easier.

Fwiw, if you were my customer or it was my fence, I would dig it out and redo from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back