Wobbly Fence Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm replacing an existing 6ft fence which had rotted posts. The posts were set into metal spikes which are set in concrete. I've put new 3" posts into the spike's bracket and tightened the clamping bolt as much as I can. However the post still wobbles a bit and I'm not sure what else to do to firm it up? The bracket does not move, its the post moving within the bracket.

The post sits in the braket of the spike around 6" and is 7" in total length. Will it be more rigid once the new panel is attached?

Any help gratefully received...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Aren't those Metposts designed to take 4" square posts?

Personally I would use concrete posts concreted in place, but appreciate you may wish to work with what you already have.

Metposts come in different sizes make sure they are the right size

if you bought the post from a diy shed such as B&Q focus etc they tend to be cut a bit smaller than you would get from a builders merchants , i would wedge some wood shims down the sides,them coat them in a diluted pva solution ,

Sponsored Links
The packers are a good idea (assuming the gap to be filled is only slight) but pva is water based so will not achieve much. Better off using a fence treatment to protect them.

use the pva to expand the wood ,then as you say cover with a good quality wood preserve

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, apologies I've not been back to thank you before - heavy week.

The met posts are the right size and the wooden post only just fits into them (i don't think i could get anything else down them to make a tighter fit. I think that the wobble comes from the amount of post above ground rather than below. I've brought some bigger clamping bolts to try and tighten the met post more.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back