Bolt only threaded near head?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can buy the opposite of this:
stainless-steel-bolts-hex-head-bolt-1.jpg

As in a threaded section near the head, smooth at the tip?
Like a kind of combination bolt/dowel... I want to put a through two pieces of wood, securely fastened into the first but able to move in the second.

I had thought about a metal rod acting as a dowel with one hole snug and the other a bit loose, but then how could I ever remove it - the top won't be accessible.

Sponsored Links
fully threaded bolt black marker where the thread needs to stop last 15mm in a battery drill chuck
file /emery paper /grinding wheel

Sex bolts involve a male and female part that would mate

You could use a bolt that had a thread all the way along and put it in a drill press/lathe and use a file or machine off the first portion of the thread? If I was doing it I would first add a nut onto the bolt to reform the thread end

Sponsored Links
Sex bolts involve a male and female part that would mate
I never heard of those and was nervous to Google it ;) very interesting but in my case the 2nd piece of wood don't be drilled all the way through to reach the other side.

Filing a bit sounds it might be simplest.

I can't decide if the thread matters or I'm just being a bit anal. I would like the retaining hole as small as possible without any chance of it binding so I thought a smooth rod might work better?

thinking about it more get a bolt 20-25mm longer than you need
then as above and then cut off the extra as that much easier than abrading the end thread :D

thinking about it more get a bolt 20-25mm longer than you need
then as above and then cut off the extra as that much easier than abrading the end thread :D
That's a handy tip. I don't have a bench drill or grinder only a hand drill and a vise and various abrasives... To avoid doing a shoddy job, any more tips the best way to do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back