Bond Polypropylene to PVCu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an aquarium with a tank connector on the base where the filter returns the water into the bottom of the tank. Unfortunately when made some time ago the tank builder drilled it for a 32mm connector, rather than a 21.5mm.

The only suitable tank connectors I could find were the "FloPlast Push Fit Waste Tank Connector Grey", which I fudged a solution of slightly filling down "FloPlast Waste To Overflow Reducer" to solvent weld into the tank connector. (Nut side is on the outside of the tank)

After given it an accident knock yesterday, I've since discovered the join was not welded at all, and really it was just a very snug fit. And, upon reading up the issue is the grey tank connector is polypropylene.

Is there a product I can use to physically "stick" this bodged PVCu reducer into the polypropylene pipe?

Sponsored Links
Different plastics are a pain to bond, how about using a fish friendly silicone sealant in the joint and wrapping the outside with self amalgamating tape?
You need to stretch the tape when applying.

Different plastics are a pain to bond, how about using a fish friendly silicone sealant in the joint and wrapping the outside with self amalgamating tape?
You need to stretch the tape when applying.

Thanks, I gave the silicone a shot, but not the tape. I've not really got anything get a grip on, the reducing boss sits within the tank connector.

It held as such, but a knock had it drop out again. I've fashioned something to keep it held in for the minute.

upload_2019-2-6_0-42-53-png.121589

I've ordered some 'Loctite All Plastics Glue', which apparently comes with "activator primes hard-to-bond surfaces such as polypropylene and polyethylene". Guess we'll see...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back