Waste pipe - types and joining query ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have decided to repipe the pipe from my basin, as when replacing the cracked trap, decided to neaten it up, as it looks a bit manky!

however, i have a few questions that i'd like to ask you experts before i begin please....

firstly, i have heard that some types of waste pipes and fittings DO NOT fit each other, even if they are both the same size, ie 32mm. Now I know you can get ABS, PVC (mupvc etc)??? and pp (polypropylene) plastic waste pipes.

I know polypropylene cannot be solvent welded, and usually is joined using push fit fittings.

I don't like push-fit persoanlly and want to use solent weld, the same as the original pipe was.

Basically, is PVC (mupvc is it or upvc)?? or ABS the best waste pipe to buy, and if I for eg Ibuy ABS and the original was PVC, will it matter.? will the connect? I will need 2 elbows and a straight coupler - the straight coupler will be used to join the new (on show) waste pipe, to the original pipe which runs under the bath and out through the wall into the hopper head.

Basically will older solvent weld pipe, fit a new solvent weld join, even if I buy ABS and the original may have been pvc plastic?

Thanks and sorry for the confusing story!! :oops:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back