ABS waste pipe to MUPVC solvent weld fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, I have purchased ABS waste pipe and some ABS fittings but also have also bought inadvertently from another place some MUPVC fittings, can these be solvent welded together or do I need MUPVC pipe for the MUPVC fittings and ABS pipe for the ABS fittings?The solvent cement i have says it is suitable for both types so I might be halfway there!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can solvent weld them togther (I think). If you want to be 100% sure that the mixture won't produce some toxic by-product or whatever, check with the manufacturers.

No, they're both made to BS. 5255 whereas polypropylene tube (push-fit) is usually made to BS 5254 and is slightly smaller in OD.

Sponsored Links
if the fitting slides over the pipe snuggly, then yes you can do this.

Expertboy yes they do fit snugly, Chrishutt the BS no's however are different on the ABS (Marley)I have BS EN 1455 on the (Hunter) MUPVC I have BS 5255 which I believe is the compatible BS no.with other manufacturers. I suppose the question is that yes they both have the same outside diameter but are ABS and MUPVC both interchnageable? :?:

Chrishutt, I may be playing the ignorant card here but is EN the European something that is compatible with the BS thingymajigg????I am being serious btw

EN is Euro Norm. I've already answered your questions (= means equals / is the same as!). If you don't believe me, what else can I say? Check it on Google on something.

Thanks Chrishutt that's fine you knew now I do , cheers for that I shall be solvent welding like a banshee tomorrow with my mixed bag of fittings/pipe. When will the BS go and the EN become commonplace ? The sooner the better for us ignorant ones !

Marley....Hunter.are these old fittings that have lain in your bag for years :?: I`ve never looked @ the bs No.s :oops: Just remember the names from the dim+distant :LOL: If I wasn`t retired I could be dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back