Solvent Welding ABS Pipe - Insert or Insert & Twist ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope every one is well and staying safe.

I need to modify an existing 40mm solvent pipe work and have a question.

I have read that ABS fittings should have solvent applied to both the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting.

I have also read that ABS fittings should not be twisted as this can cause them to leak, PVC fittings can be twisted when being assembled.

Can anyone please comment ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Slight twisting when inserting is fine.
Apply solvent cement to both outside pipe and inside fitting.

If joining an elbow then line it up where you want it to be and mark a line on both elbow and pipe first.

Sponsored Links
I give it a slight twist too. Lash on the weld and a slight twist. Always told not to but I ignore and do my own thing. Never had a leak

I have also read that ABS fittings should not be twisted as this can cause them to leak

All I would add to that is that it isn't borne out in practice ... in the real world I find a twist is fine to ensure both faces coat well with cement.

I never add glue to the fitting, just the pipe, (same as flux to copper) again in practice this has never caused an issue in all the years I have been doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back