Black 110mm soil stack pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm attempting to fit a 40mm branch onto a vertical 110mm internal and enclosed soil stack pipe. I'm trying to work out if the 110mm pipe already there is ABS plastic of PVCu, but I've removed quite a lot of the plasterboard on the boxed in section and I can't see any writing on the pipe. The 110mm pipe itself is black, but every 400cm or so it has a coupler (part no. SH43) which I understand is a PVCu push fit coupler). I've no idea why they used lots of short sections of 110mm vertical pipe with lots of couplers instead of just a long section of pipe, seems weird.

I'm lead to believe that black 110mm pipe is usually ABS, so I should be ok with solvent welding on a 'strap-on' boss. My preference is solvent-weld because space in the boxed in section is too small for a mechanical (e.g. McApline) attachment both because of space and access to tighten it up.

Any idea if I can rely on the black pipe being ABS or should I be cautious? Also the Solvent Weld Glue I have says it's ok for ABS and PVCu but people seem to say it wont actually work on PVCu.

Thanks,

George S.

Sponsored Links
I just checked the strap on boss I bought and while it says it must be solvent welded on and has solvent weld inserts, it also says its made of PVCu... So I guess the 'only solvent weld ABS' is out of date or something...

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware, 110mm soil has always been uPVC, whereas solvent weld waste has been ABS. Both will solvent weld.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back