Bonding and finish coat

S

SaladFingers

For plastering around chases, socket boxes etc for the best finish, I'd obviously apply finish coat after.

When should this be done? When the bonding is dry or when it's just going off?

Ta

Sponsored Links
It's always best to finish the job the same day. Fill up the chases, around the boxes, any holes etc with, in this case, bonding coat,, let it set, (dark pink) then put on your multi.

A little trick you can use is put a bit of cement in with your bonding ,make sure you either dampen around the chases or put some pva or sbr sealer on then wait till it goes tacky the fill with your bonding mix. When the bonding "picks up a bit just scrap it back so it is below the finished wall then devil it and sponge clean around the edges. Then when the bonding has changed colour put your first coat of skim on then when that picks up flatten out. You may get away with one coat if you leave it long enough before you trowel it .After your final trowel get the sponge out and clean around the whole area so its nice and neat and no visible difference in levels so it wont stick out when painted....Good luck ;)

A little trick you can use is put a bit of cement in with your bonding ,make sure you either dampen around the chases or put some pva or sbr sealer on then wait till it goes tacky the fill with your bonding mix. When the bonding "picks up a bit just scrap it back so it is below the finished wall then devil it and sponge clean around the edges. Then when the bonding has changed colour put your first coat of skim on then when that picks up flatten out. You may get away with one coat if you leave it long enough before you trowel it .After your final trowel get the sponge out and clean around the whole area so its nice and neat and no visible difference in levels so it wont stick out when painted....Good luck ;)

Awesome, thanks. I'll do that on the next lot I do. The last lot I did, I bonded a little shallow, then top coated and sanded it back level, but thought there must have been a better way - your way sounds a good one, thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Infact, for the next time that I do this, as it's only around socket recessing and chases, is there a one coat system that's suitable and will give a surface good enough to paint? Ta.

This is what I used to do as a sparky and results can be as good as you like depending on how long you spend on the second stage.

Stage one, dampen down the chase, take caution and turn the electricity off. if the wall is sucking the water in it's often better to pva within the chase to stop the new plaster drying out and cracking on the edges, this will make the chase stand out. once thats done, with the pva tacky fill the chase out flush with one coat plaster, push it right in the chase and then rule it off flush with the original surface, if you leave it a bit proud its ok as its really easy to sand too.

once that has set, if you dont need to rub it back anywhere you can go to stage two

stage two is to get jointing compound, or easyfil, its a fine filler that is easily sand-able and will fill minor imperfections. dust the chase down and apply the jointing compound using a filling scraper, spread it across the width of the chase all the way up and then run your scraper all the way down or up the chase, keeping it slightly off the original wall. once that had set you can sand it back with some 120 paper until smooth and flush, you can repeat this stage until you are happy.

Dont forget to mist coat the chase a few times before painting the wall.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/patching-old-plaster.341729/#2562236#ixzz2CeSOTvAS

Well I had a go this evening. Didn't go quite to plan, although it'll be fine. Couldn't quite get the hang of plastering the chase flush. It's a little proud, so can sand it back in a few days and check it.

It's not as easy as you think ..eh? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back