finishing over bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can someone tell me why when I apply a finish coat over bonding I always have trouble with bubbling. I'm not a pro but I have done a fair bit of plastering and get on well if I'm finishing over plasterboard, it's just that if I have to bond out first I don't have the experience to know when it's the right time to apply a finish. Am I leaving it too long before applying the finish? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You should be putting the finish on , ideally, when the bonding has just gone solid, turning colour.

However, not always possible for the DIYer.

Also different depths of bonding may lead to diff suctions. Not closing in your first coat also can cause some. Bonding is not always the nicest for skimming.you often get a nest of them in one area of an otherwise good wall for no apparent main reason.

If you get blisters, don't keep rubbing them before the finish is set as they won't go away, and may get worse.

Better to give a hard trowel just as it has set fully.

The next day you can shave them with your trowel at an acute angle .
Using some finish in with the bonding, if it is a tight coat, can help reduce the problem.

Not a spread born who hasn't had to deal with a few in their day.

I had the same bubbling after putting multi-finish over dry bonding. A plasterer told me it was cos I wet the walls before I started, rather than applied a bonding agent. I've since done smaller areas using bonding agent, and haven't had the bubbles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back