bonding coat thickness issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bonded out panels on a ceiling in between small oak beams, But I am wondering if my thickness of bonding is sufficiant. Its probably about 5mm, feels strong, I know it should be 8mm, but what would happen if its not? Its about 3 days dry now, is it too late to add to the backing to bring it up to 8-11mm, or do you think it will be fine. Also would I have to glue the bonding or just wet it down.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry it'll be fine, providing it's been correctly applied. 8mm is not a minimum thickness. I, along with many others, frequently use it a lot thinner than that as an initial build over very course Artex patterns prior to skimming with Multi.

Can I ask why you've used Bonding rather than just a straight finish skim? Are you going to skim?

Took the paper off and scraped it all back, and so came of allot of the old plaster where it had cracked and deteriorated from a radiator leak. In the past have scimmed over such surfaces but just wanted to sure it up proper this time so no cracks would re-appear. Im planning to scim over the bonding coat.

Thanks for advice its good to be reasured.

Took the paper off and scraped it all back, and so came of allot of the old plaster where it had cracked and deteriorated from a radiator leak. In the past have scimmed over such surfaces but just wanted to sure it up proper this time so no cracks would re-appear. Im planning to scim over the bonding coat.

Thanks for advice its good to be reasured.
you have gone the correct way,all high class board work used to have a tight coat of bonding as per norm,skimming straight to board was seen as a bodge job 5mm is bang on the money!

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should skim a Bonding base as soon as it's set (about 1 1/2-2 hours) or ideally the same day. If you leave it to dry out, you must PVA it or it'll suck the life out of the finish skim & it'll craze like hell. ;)

your wrong there rich just a lite damp down will do!
got to kill suction all the time,cmon if you were a real spread you'd use the suction to save an hour,thats if you were a real spread!

if you were a real spread you'd use the suction to save an hour,thats if you were a real spread!
I’m not even going to bite, not much anyway. Is tuggers a pro, has he got experience, can he work quick; WTF knows. Those who know me on here understand what I’m about & you can GFY with a comment like that, as a regular contributor on this forum, I expected better of you :evil:

and as a regular contributor id expect you to no about what you spout,your just having a guess mate! :)

Come on guys,,,, loosen up,, everyone on here has their own way of reading the book. Suction good,, suction bad,,, to a beginner, suction very bad, and any advice on how to reduce or eliminate as Rich' said, is always welcome,, but to a pro,, as External rightly said, suction can be a bonus too,, and Richard knows that. I don't see the need for you two,, especially you Exty my boy,, :LOL: to get nasty with each other, especially over a piece of good advice by Rich', that was meant to help someone, who has little experience of plastering. Shake hands boys,,,, you're both old enough to know that there are many twists and turns in the trade of plastering,,, and any advice, making a difficult job easier for someone just learning/starting out, is always welcome,,,,, now please pass me the PVA. ;)

you have gone the correct way,all high class board work used to have a tight coat of bonding as per norm,skimming straight to board was seen as a bodge job 5mm is bang on the money!

Curious on this....
as new to plastering, I kind of like the reassurance knowing that board is very flat (assuming I put them up well) and the suction would not be too severe to rush me skimming.
Would putting the Bonding on the board give you less suction to worry about or more? (assuming you got to it in a sensible time frame)
I recognise the pros can prob get the Bonding on v flat and is not an issue there for them! ;)

and as a regular contributor id expect you to no about what you spout,your just having a guess mate! :)
Spout; whose spouting? As for you “just having a guess mate” well if you search aback (a long way), you might have some idea & I certainly aint your mate. I don’t profess to be a time served ancient & I freely admit I’ve only been spreading for 6 years but I know my limitations & always give advice accordingly & the OP is someone whose experience neither I nor you have any idea about.

I don’t really understand why I’m justifying myself to you when your talking browlocks or why you’ve chose to hack into me, your not an alter ego of one of the shtict stirrers on this forum are you? Perhaps I’ve upset you in the past, I don’t know & really don’t care but if you’re going to slag me off rather than support, do over something I’ve got wrong please!

Ideally you should skim a Bonding base as soon as it's set (about 1 1/2-2 hours) or ideally the same day. If you leave it to dry out, you must PVA it or it'll suck the life out of the finish skim & it'll craze like hell. ;)

100% agree! especially for an amateur.

im sorry,i can be rude sometimes,but i don't mean to be,but if i see something that i dont agree with i say so,didn't consider the op was a new lad and should not have called rich out after reflecting on his advice was to the inexperienced.i apologize :oops:
also didnt no you were so new to the game ,ive got buckets been on site longer than you m8 :)

Curious on this....
as new to plastering, I kind of like the reassurance knowing that board is very flat (assuming I put them up well) and the suction would not be too severe to rush me skimming.

Would putting the Bonding on the board give you less suction to worry about or more?

You would get more suction working that way,, but only with the first coat of multi,, the second one goes on easier. If you left it until the following day,, (not recommended,,, but if you had to), you could either kill the suction with PVA, let it dry, then PVA again and skim while tacky,,,,, or, dampen down the bonding coat with water/wet brush, and use the suction to your advantage.

im sorry,i can be rude sometimes,but i don't mean to be,but if i see something that i dont agree with i say so,didn't consider the op was a new lad and should not have called rich out after reflecting on his advice was to the inexperienced.i apologize :oops:
also didnt no you were so new to the game ,ive got buckets been on site longer than you m8 :)

You are great asset to this Forum too Exty. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back