Render? Bonding? Hardwall? Which one - help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
New to this site and would really appreciate an experienced plasterer's advice:

I have some internal walls in an old house to plaster. Have hacked off a lot of the old crumbly plaster. The old plaster is approx 20mm thick where it remains. However, lots of old pointing has come off as well leaving large voids of up to 50mm Deep as well

I went and bought a load of bonding coat and multi finish but bonding coat appears to be for layers up to 11mm then you are supposed to put other layers of up to 8mm on top of that to make up the thickness.

That seems a faff. Do I fill the deeper voids first with render or something else so that i need only put one coat of bonding on?

I'm sure this is basic stuff but I am stuck on this being new to plastering
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Was the old plaster lime? How old is the house? Is it brick solid wall or cavity? Is it stone?

Any pics?

Hi,
House built 1900
No cavity, internal walls
I have pictures but how do I attach them to a reply like this?
Cheers
J

Sponsored Links
Hi,
House built 1900
No cavity, internal walls
I have pictures but how do I attach them to a reply like this?
Cheers
J

You need to upload them to your album then it will give you a link to paste into here.

what about the external walls, are the solid?

I would think very carefully about the plaster you use, you can cause problems down the line.

The way it should be done is like for like, if lime was used then lime should go back on. At present I haven't come across a gypsum based plaster that is upto the job when renovating old houses constructed with lime. Certainly isn't a good idea to start putting on bonding on in old builds, needs thinking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back