Bonding coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attached a pic of a hole from where a picture rail was removed. I have a few similar chunks from when windows got replaced etc. None much bigger than a side plate.

It's a 1920's ish house, original lathe and hair plaster ceilings etc. Assume lime plaster walls.

For this hole (and the others) is this an acceptable fix for a diy'er:

1) remove any loose plaster
2) apply bonding coat to bring close to level and let dry
3) apply toupret filler to level (toupret as I can sand if reqd)

Before applying the bonding coat, do I wet the bricks first? Is dilute pva required first? If so, so I let it go tacky first?

Please advise and many thanks

20210526_191556.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm pragmatic.

House has cavity wall / not solid brick. Bathroom was skimmed in gypsum plaster a decade ago, on top of the lime, with no visible issues.

These holes are upstairs and small (side plate) - the odd gypsum patch won't cause issue.

Plus I have a BQ handy for bonding and own toupret...

What do you suggest re: pva, or, shall.I just wet the brick first?

Sponsored Links
Silly question but I've not used pva before.

Do I add a dilute mix of pva and water (70% water) and let it go tacky before applying the bonding?

Or do I let it dry?

Silly question but I've not used pva before.

Do I add a dilute mix of pva and water (70% water) and let it go tacky before applying the bonding?

Or do I let it dry?
Thin the pva down , let it go tacky, then plaster onto it., NEVER ever plaster onto dry pva.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back