bonding cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im a trying to do some bonding where there has been chasing done. i can see that the bonding is cracking where it joins iup to the old plaster, im afraid that this will show through if skimming is applied, any help/advice much appriciated
many thanks
p.s. i have bonded straight from the bricks where all the plaster has come off.

Sponsored Links
is has dried out too quick but as long as it has bonded to the substraight it will bbe fine to skim over, belt and braces would be to use some self edhesive fibreglass mesh tape over it, you can get stuff thats 4" wide from screwfix and 2" wide from all the diy outlets.

i can see that the bonding is cracking where it joins iup to the old plaster, im afraid that this will show through if skimming is applied, any help/advice much appriciated
Give the bonding a tap with a knuckle. If it sounds firm, you'll be fine (proceed as per 1John above).

If a hollow sound, would cut out the loose bits and re-do, applying with diluted PVA first (pva:water - 1:5).
There a few posts you can prob find on here about leaving bonding level/not level and finishing with easi-fill as a simpler alternative to finish (if not confident)

Before you fill up any chase with plaster, give it a good wet down, and PVA both edges of the original plaster,,, then fill up the chase while it is still wet. Make sure you have the plaster made up ready before hand. Don't worry if it needs more plaster to bring it out flush,, as long as the edges are filled out to the original level. Making the chase wet is the key, plus, push the new plaster hard into the original edges

Sponsored Links
This is why i have always used one coat plaster for filling chases, it is also easy to sand back and a few coats of some pre mixed jointing compound can make the chase dissapear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back