bonding gutter or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi looking for some advice.been in house for over 7 years no problems but my roof has now developed a leak at the join with next door.next doors roof is in a sorry state.i ve had a few roofers out and basically the roofs are joined with a mortar joint on a bed of slate.ive been told by most roofer i need a bonding gutter, cheapest price was 330 for just the front,other prices were 800,1300 and 900 for both front and back.spoke to the tenant next door who's also noticed a leak so i phoned the owner, says hes no money to chip in to fix it. so i said i would pay for the work,he said okay but make sure you put the roof back right, but im worried because of the state of the roof next door that i might be opening a can of worms by getting it done and i might get come back from the tight sod next door.ive had another roofer come out today who says best bet,becuase of next doors roof, would be to paint the motar bed and six inches onto his roof with aquaseal.as you can see from the pictures its been painted some stage in the past.im leaning towards just getting the front done with a gutter for 330 and hope i have no come back.any advice would be appreciated, or any other suggestions

Sponsored Links
Get permission in writing from the landlord/owner to carry out the work and get something in writing from the person renting the house stating the problems he has with leaks.

Make sure the contractor is competent and willing to guarantee his work.

The slate roof doesn't look bad, it's the tiled roof causing the problems.

Its should be a crime to put tiles on a slate roof, no wonder its leaking. :rolleyes: idiots

Its should be a crime to put tiles on a slate roof, no wonder its leaking. :rolleyes: idiots

I agree, but we know why they've re-roofed in tiles.

'Yes squire......those slates are shot..........new tiles needed'

Or should I say

'those tiles are a lot cheaper than slate so we'll charge the customer for the new tiles and sell the slate, nice little earner(£400+) and a lot less labour'

Sponsored Links
The only bad looking thing i can see on that slate roof is the rubbish that has been slabbered over it.

The only bad looking thing i can see on that slate roof is the rubbish that has been slabbered over it.

Which will be the result of a previous leak/repair caused by that horrendous cement joint...the slate looks in very good condition and pretty well bonded/straight, dontcha think?

What a pity they decided to tile that roof.

Or should I say

'those tiles are a lot cheaper than slate so we'll charge the customer for the new tiles and sell the slate, nice little earner(£400+) and a lot less labour'

lots of slate roofs round our way are being ripped off and those black tiles put on.no sooner has one has been done the scaffolding is going up on another. a couple of neighbours who had new roofs said the roofers said 'your roofs over 100 years old, its past its life'

Or should I say

lots of slate roofs round our way are being ripped off and those black tiles put on.no sooner has one has been done the scaffolding is going up on another. a couple of neighbours who had new roofs said the roofers said 'your roofs over 100 years old, its past its life'

I would think the neighbour has had a re-roof in the not too distant past and had the gutters replaced too. That slate roof looks in very good condition to me, or at least the slate do.

Unfortunately the muppets that put the tiles on have done a bad job of bonding the two roofs.

To swap a slate roof for a tiled is madness unless there's no other option, you cannot beat good slate.

The slate roof looks straight to my eye, and it looks like they have tried to water proof a slate roof with acropol or something, clueless.

The slate roof looks straight to my eye, and it looks like they have tried to water proof a slate roof with acropol or something, clueless.

or that mortar joint has given up in the past and been repaired, the mortar looks like it's been coated too.

Just reaffirms my view on the condition of the slate roof.

What makes you think it is in poor condition?

It appears the tiled roof has caused the problems.

to be honest thats what i was told by some of the roofers. im no roofer. the condition on the front is actually pretty good apart from the gunk painted on the join. its a bit worse on the back round the chimney,slates uneven and gunk painted on, but thats on the other side,so doesn't affect me.hopefully once the secret gutters in we shouldn't have any more problems.probably worrying over nothing.does 800 to 1000 seem like a fair price or is that too cheap or too expensive

To install the bonding gutter on both sides is a days work and under a hundred quid materials.

So 2 men 1 day, a tower scaffold, £600 to £700 imo.

Get 2 or 3 quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back