Bonding on gas and water Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed that I don't have either.
are there any guidelines as to where the bonding staps go? e.g within x numberof metres from where the pipe comes in and before T's or elbows etc.?

The only place for the gas is inside the outdoor box that the meter sits in. could I put it in there, or will that upset the gas people?

Sponsored Links
You need to have it for any metallic service pipe entering your house.
It is there for safety, to prevent such services introducing dangerous potential differences (voltages) into your house.

Typically they both need to be bonded to your house's means of earthing using 10mm² green & yellow earth cable.

How old is your house's electrical installation?

it was built in the 60s. same wiring in there but is in good nick.
the lighting is only 2 core but i dont have any exposed metal fittings.
I fitted a new earth block a while ago with spare terminals for when I get time to do the job.

Noticed that I don't have either.
are there any guidelines as to where the bonding staps go? e.g within x numberof metres from where the pipe comes in and before T's or elbows etc.?

As near as practical to where the pipe enters the house (Within 600mm). After the stop-cock/gas meter and before any T's/branches.

The only place for the gas is inside the outdoor box that the meter sits in. could I put it in there, or will that upset the gas people?

If you can't get access to the pipe inside the house where it enters, then bond in the meter box. Don't see why that would upset anybody.

Do you have a main earth terminal (MET) where your supplier's earth or earth rod is connected?

Sponsored Links
yep, I fitted a met a few years ago. got more than enough terminals to fit them too.

thought i'd check about fitting a strap in the their meter box... seems easy to contravine rules and regs. these days.

thanks for your help.. will get onto it thanks again mate! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back