bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it ok to earth bond pipework to a socket instead of running it back to a consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
If there's rcd's or rcbos on the circuits in proximity why do you want to bond?

Supplementary bonding in the 16 th for the bathroom has to be on circuits in the room, so shaver and lights would apply.

Could you be more specific?

Full bonding in 10mm should be done between the main gas and water services back to the MET main earth terminal of the property.

Please see the DiY not wiki, uk electrics for reference.

Ive noticed my boilers pipes are crossed bonded but when looking further the earth wire is cut and doesnt go anywhere.there is a fused switch to the boiler and was wondering if it was ok to to wire it to the earth in there as i cant get it back to the consumer unit without ripping the house apart

Sponsored Links
Please confirm if the fuse board has rcd protection (ubits with a test switch) and what earth cables terminate at the MET (which is normally by the mains head / meter and is normally a shiny terminal block with green yellow cables on it).

As mentioned before, lets see if you need this before doing any work!

Havent got rcds only rewireable fuses.i know the gas meter goes to the earth terminal and the ring and lightining circuit but nothing else.

Ive noticed my boilers pipes are crossed bonded but when looking further the earth wire is cut and doesnt go anywhere
It won't.

The pipes are bonded together, not to anything else.
Plumbers like doing this but it is not necessary (except in exceptional circumstances).

there is a fused switch to the boiler and was wondering if it was ok to to wire it to the earth in there as i cant get it back to the consumer unit without ripping the house apart
Not necessary - unless...

...the boiler is exposed in a bathroom and you do not have RCD protection for the bathroom circuits and it is not bonded elsewhere.

Havent got rcds only rewireable fuses.i know the gas meter goes to the earth terminal and the ring and lightining circuit but nothing else.
Is your main water pipe also bonded back to the MET or continuous with the gas pipe bonding(bonded together) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back