Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom fitted 5 years ago and after a while I realised I could not see any earth straps on basin,bath,towel rail.
When I contacted the installer he told me they were connected under the floor so I would not see unsightly bits of cable etc.
This I could appreciate but when i was bleeding a radiator the other day i started to get concerned again and still feel uneasy.
The question I would like to ask you guys is _ Can I do any checks myself using a meter etc to confirm everything is in order and if so could anyone advise me on how and what to do to carry these checks out, I live in a very remote village and do not really want to go to a large expense of getting an electrician out unless I need to.
Many thanks for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
The latest regulations don't require them.

They maybe a caveat that 30mA RCD protection is required on the electrics. Not sure.

Supplementary bonding is not required under 17th Editions IET Wiring Regulations (since 2008) provided all circuits are protected by an RCD.

Sponsored Links
Yes, all circuits of the location (bathroom) must be protected by RCDs.

To omit bonding, as well as the RCDs the main bonding must be compliant AND all disconnection times must be compliant.

It is not just a question of looking at a part and deciding if it should be bonded because it is a pipe or whatever.
Measurements have to be taken to determine if it must be bonded or if it must not be bonded

Thanks for all the replies lads
Can I assume from the responses that if the house has an RCD, I do not need any bonding on water pipes,stainless sink etc ? (We have oil, do not have Gas)

I think we have confused you.

We have been talking about Supplementary Bonding in bathrooms.

Yes, all circuits of the location (bathroom) must be protected by RCDs.

To omit bonding, as well as the RCDs the main bonding must be compliant AND all disconnection times must be compliant.

You must still apply Main Bonding to extraneous-conductive-parts (Water, Gas, Oil etc.) at their entry point to the premises.

No Supplementary Bonding is required in kitchens

Thanks for all the replies lads
Can I assume from the responses that if the house has an RCD,
No, there are other requirements that must be in place and this would require disconnection times being met
Supplementary bonding is not required and may be omitted:
(i) where main bonding is provided in accordance with 411.3.1.2, and
(ii) all final circuits meet the required disconnection times 0.4 sec for TN systems, 0.2 sec for TT systems, and
(iii) all circuits have additional protection by 30 mA RCD, and
(iv) all extraneous-conductive-parts (metal water pipes) in the location are electrically continuous and effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding.
I do not need any bonding on water pipes,stainless sink etc ? (We have oil, do not have Gas)

If it is metallic it will require main earth bonding even oil, which would normally be low carbon steel or copper! (excluding the sink)

Also if the electrician has supplementary bonded within the ceiling/floor void, this should have been left accessible!

Hi EFLImpudence
Excuse my ignorance but how would I check if it was in place at entry point ?

Hi Prenticeboyofderry

Really appreciate the help you and others are trying to give me but could you tell me in simple terms (as Iam not a qualified Electrician) as to what I need to have on my pipework etc to comply and what I need to check for visually as like I said earlier i expect to see earth straps on pipework etc.
Sorry for the ignorance but I just want to make sure all is right and if not get it sorted.

Hi AndyPRK

Thanks for that I have checked the mains at entry and it is clamped with Earth strap/wire.

Hi Prenticeboyofderry

Really appreciate the help you and others are trying to give me but could you tell me in simple terms (as Iam not a qualified Electrician) as to what I need to have on my pipework etc to comply and what I need to check for visually as like I said earlier i expect to see earth straps on pipework etc.
Sorry for the ignorance but I just want to make sure all is right and if not get it sorted.
You will be looking for metallic service pipes that enter your property, these are generally water and gas, but oil pipes will also require finding.
On entering the property the metallic pipes should be main earth bonded, this is now by rule of thumb by a 10mm CSA earth cable. The bond is made by a BS 951 earth clamp, this will have a "do not remove, electrical connection" label on it. There should be good contact on the pipe via clamp (so not good on painted or oxidised pipe) and the cable via the terminal on clamp. The continuity can be tested using a continuity tester between the metallic pipe and the earth at the fuseboard/consumer unit. A reading of equal to or less than 0.05 omhs would be an acceptable measurement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back