Bonus! Spam, spam, spam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a couple of packs of spam fritters recently, because they make for a quick cooked snack. It says on the packs 4x spam fitters in the package. I had a bit of lunch out today, but was feeling a bit peckish, so I opened the latest four pack to find there were five. Not often manufacturers make such mistake in these days of automated packaging machines - bonus!

For tomorrows dinner, I have just taken out of the freezer a Barnsley chop, added to which will be mash and roast potatoes, mixed veg, rich onion gravy and a Yorkie cooked in goose fat. (y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Spam fitter? So that's who's sneaking on early in the mornings and posting spam! You live and learn.

Sponsored Links
Anyone know what's better/different about a "Barnsley chop", or is that just a Yorkshire thing? (again)

Anyone know what's better/different about a "Barnsley chop", or is that just a Yorkshire thing? (again)

A chop is just half the actual chop. A Barnsley chop has the whole thing as one part. Instead of having two separate chops on your plate you just get the one Barnsley chop.

Typical Yorkshire - everything has to be bigger and better ;)

Actually, I did know - my stepmother worked for a butcher's for many years, but they aren't something I see in many butchers these days. In any case I'm more a loin steak man

Don't tell me, they batter and deep fry them as well!

Well, sort of. You get the beef dripping in the pudding tin hot and smoking (important) in the oven, then pour your batter in quickly. I once became quite adept at making those, but now I just buy ready rolled.

It was traditional and the way my mother served them, was as a first course with onion gravy. The idea was one of filling you up, before moving onto the main course then you wouldn't want as much.

I recall staying with a schoolfriend who had moved from Leeds, Sunday roast started off with pud & gravy, I was flummoxed.

I recall staying with a schoolfriend who had moved from Leeds, Sunday roast started off with pud & gravy, I was flummoxed.

It;s a Yorkshire thing. You can even find some Yorkshire cafes which have them on their menu, either just Yorkshire puds and gravy, or filled puds (meat and etc. in them). I've not had them as a starter, since the 50's with my mother, though I do sometimes enjoy them as a snack, with gravy.

Sponsored Links
Back