booming noise in certain pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i thought the gate outside was slamming but i went to the upstairs bathroom and realised it was the pipes. upon turning off the bathroom sink tap will produce kind of a slam in the pipes. the booming noise is random and will happen with no taps turned on.

I checked the boiler and the pressure was very low. I turned on the tap and go the pressure back up to 1.0.

my question is will the 2 be related and what do I do now? should I keep the tap upstairs on for a while? should I turn the heating on? should I bleed pipes?

Sponsored Links
It is very likely your incoming water pressure is high, which results in the jumpers on the taps making these noises. So you would need to have pressure test on the incoming water supply and possibly fit a pressure reducing valve to drop it.

but the taps arent making a noise, its the pipes, and theyre doing it constantly. i also think the pressure in the boiler being so low is a factor.

Water hammer,
Usually as already stated or,worn tap washer/cartridge, dodgy toilet cistern float valve.
Or the more likely culprit insufficient pipe supports i:e pipes not clipped properly.
Had any work done recently?

Sponsored Links
no but the toilets been acting funny, the floating ball wont go down and i have to manually push it down in order for the bowl to fill. could that be a factor?

would turning off the stop cock and allowing the taps to empty do anything or will i need to get a plumber?

If you have an isolating valve to the toilet cistern turn it off which will bypass the toilet valve and see if the noise stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back