BOOSTER PUMP WITH ACCUMULATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am sorry if this has ben covered before but I hope someone can help.

I have a 500L GAH accumulator with a 210 Unistor unvented cylinder. I wanted to know if a booster pump [to mainatain pressure at approx 1.5 to 1.8 bar at peak times as it drops to around 0.75 bar] can be fitted in this arrangement?

I only want to increase the pressure and not the flow. Is there a pump that anyone can recommend? I know that all the Monsoon pumps are WRAS approved so I may consider one of these if viable.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
WRAS approval does not mean it can be connected to the mains.

You can install certain pumps that have a limited output of 12 litres per minute.

However, the whole reason for having an accumulator is to boost your flow AND iron out these pressure fluctuations.

Seems to be another case of a misold accumalator.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I really appreciate all of your comments.

A one-way check has been fitted.

FURTHER Q's:

[1] Can a pump not be fitted after the GAH accumulator or UV cylinder or is this still considered as being connected to the mains?

I notice that GAH now do a pump called Boosterstream - may look in to that.

[2] Can anyone point me in the direction of a make of pump [other than GAH's own] that can boost pressure by about 1-1.2 bar but the flow can be limited to 9 - 12 l/m?

AGAIN - many thanks for your help in advance.

well...

all I can say is... if I was an end user I would just buy a Grundfos UPA 15/90 and to hell with the rules :LOL: but as professional I would never do do it :rolleyes:

wonder if you used a 15/90 and put a flow limiter set to 11L/m would that comply the rules?

Hi all.

I though I should give an update to anyone who maybe interested.

I have had the GAH Boosterstream pump fitted. It uses a Stuart Turner peripheral pump from its RG series. It has been limited to drawing 12 l/m - this complies with regulation 5 & item 4(d) from the associated Table in the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

The pump cuts in when it senses the pressure of the coldstream accumulator is below a preset level - about 2 bar - and boosts it to 3.5 bar and automatically cuts off. This has resulted in very significant increases to flow rates to the taps and two or more can be opened simultaneoulsy without a dramatic drop in supply. The pump is not that noisy.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with it so far.

This technology has been available from the inventor of the Coldstream, TWS. It is called a charger and is similar to the GAH product.

We have been fitting them for around 2.5 years on the front of TWS Mainsboost accumulators (which are the same Global units as GAH sell).

The TWS one is WRAS approved which is rather important..... we don't deal with GAH any more so I don't know where they stand. Last time we heard they were in breach of contract selling the accumulators......

I don't know about the misselling thread. We're not talking timeshares here, just water boosting. It's available from all the merchants, if you don't understand it, fine. But don't knock it till you've tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back