Boot Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old Dell Optiplex GX1 which I use as a backup machine. Turned it on today and nothing happened!! :(
Power and screen is ok need to know where to go next.
Any help appreciated :confused:
Thanx
Tony

Sponsored Links
When u say "nothing happened", do you mean no lights, no noise, completely dead? This would suggest the PSU is dead or fuse in power lead, so I would start there. Try running a minimum machine to see if it starts. Remove power to all the drives and remove all cards except VGA.

Well Igorian you must have scared it.. took cover off and did cold reboot. It now appears to be ok :D
Thanx for your time
Tony
PS hopefully will not have to re post:cool:

Sponsored Links
Spoke too soon.
When powering up have solid green light on PC and amber light on monitor cannot hear hard drive being accessed..Help :confused:
Tony

Happened to our 'old' (5 years) pc a few weeks ago. IT guy I got to know from a business network came round, just looked at it, said it might be the processor, took it away, called two hours later, had the processor replaced, brought it back and it's running like a treat agin
(Costs? £ 75.00! His alternative solution was to create a 'new' second hand CPU with working parts of our old one, estimated costs £ 150)

may be in removing the case you dissloged the ide cable (flat grey one plugs into hd, one end, mobo the other

If the drives are not powering up, but the power led is lit, is an indication of a failed power supply. Is the processor/psu fan running?

Is the graphic card integrated to the motherboard, or a plug in card?. Could be it is not secure in the slot.

Do a minimum build as previously suggested to see if you can get to a stable state. A PSU tester, which tests the "power good" state can be bought for about a tenner.

Ckecked all cables - and booted ok again - ran for a couple of hours with no problems :LOL: So maybe ok this time?
Thanks for help
Tony

B A N G G G G !!! :(

...His alternative solution was to create a 'new' second hand CPU with working parts of our old one, estimated costs £ 150)....
For a brand new, secondhand, CPU with working parts epicyclic gears, curvic couplings 'n all .... You should've jumped at that ... Intel wood have been interested there Woody my dear !
;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back