Boot up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My PC will not boot up, I get a message in a DOS format

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

file missing or corrupted re install

Sounds like a new PC is on the cards but I would like to back up some files - any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Try this fix below from here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

HAL.DLL is Missing - Updated by MVP Alex Nichol

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

There can be two cause for this:
1. Operating system is corrupt
2. Hard disk is faulty.

In most of the cases it is the operating system . Try to restore the operating system. If you can not restore operating system then replace the hard disk and install operating system again.

Nothing else is faulty in your computer. Your computer is perfectly fine.

If you want to backup file then I would suggest as follows:

1. Buy a new hard drive.
2. Disconnect the old hard disk
3. Connect new hard disk.
4. Install operating system
5. Connect old hard disk as secondary or in the second channel.

At this step you may be able to see the old hard disk as drive E: or F: or something like this. If the old hard disk has not failed you will be able to get back all the data.
Do a scan disk if neccessary. If the hard disk is faulty it is much more difficult to get back data.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your help, tried recovery disc to no avail, next step to extract files from hard drive so will post in hardware section

Back