Bootiing up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I close my computer down at night, I always switch it off at the sockets as well.

For the last week or so, when I switch the sockets on, it's been intermittantly starting up on it's own, without me actually pressing the button to fire it up.

I then get the message:

Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP

Primary Master Disk drive
Secondary Master CD ROM Device
Secondary Slave CD ROM Device

Time of day - not set

Run SETUP

And then I have to go into the BIOS to set the time and day.

At first, it was on a couple of times this happened but now it's nearly every day.

Anybody got any ideas? Am I right in thinking there's a battery that might be knackered or is it more serious than this?

Sponsored Links
Not sure why it should be starting on its own when plugging in, but having to set the BIOS date every time you boot up hopefully is due to the CMOS battery needing replacement.

You will need to open PC and change the battery which will be found on the motherboard.
In the picture it can be seen to the bottom left of the black ASUS heatsing (its the circular silver thing) :D
84949_sata.jpg

Thanks. I thought I remembered somebody saying once there was a battery. Is it likely to be brand specific and I can just ask for a CMOS battery or should I take it out to make sure what size it is?

It is usually a CR2032.

You can get them most places, even tesco's etc.

I'd expect to pay no more than £2.50
Tescos is way cheaper than that :D

Sponsored Links
I've got one of them here!!! That's what's in my doorbell.

Blimey, hope my PC doesn't start ding donging................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

if changing the battery dose not work then try reloading the defaults in CMOS, to do that press . or F2 depending on the make then select load default settings then save and exit.

worth a shot,

cheers,
Philly

I've got one of them here!!! That's what's in my doorbell.

Blimey, hope my PC doesn't start ding donging................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
If microsoft hear it they might change their windows jingle :D

Changed the battery over, cleaned all the dust out of the casing :oops: and it's working tickety boo now. :D

Sponsored Links
Back