Border removed complete with paint! Sander recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have removed a self-adhesive border from my son's room and it has taken the paint with it in many places, so there are now 'steps' in the old paintwork which will obviously show if we paint over. Is the only solution to sand? We don't want to use another border, just plain paint.

If sanding is the best option, is an orbital sander the way to go? Any recommendations on a model? I will be able to use it in the future as I have other jobs to use it for so it wouldn't be a purchase for a one-off job. Spending £100 would not be that painful, would that get me a decent one?

Thanks

Edward

Sponsored Links
Hi Edward and welcome to the forum,
Sanding is one option, but I wouldn't go for that. The option that I would go for would be to use a fine filler to bring the missing areas of paint out to flush. If you use a sander, you will more than likely make it look a lot worse by sanding the surrounding paint down too far. It wouldn't be a difficult job to fill it out, you could even use ready mixed joint finish, carefuly put on with a trowel or a 3 or 4 "scraper. If you went this way, and after it had dried out, sand it down gently by "hand" with a "very fine" sandpaper and it's ready for painting. If you are unsure, get a painter to give you some advice.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
I WOULDN'T use plaster repair filler for that Ed, I would use "readymix" for sure if it was my job. It comes ready to use and will be perfect for the job. Put a "thin" coat over the areas that need it, remove the excess as you go, you're only looking for enough to flush off the missing areas. Sand it down after and it's ready to paint.

Roughcaster.

Roughcaster - didn't see your message before I went home last night so I went for the plaster repair stuff!

I mixed it fairly thin and smooth and it seems to have done the job really well. I'll sand and paint it tonight, but so far it looks OK.

Thanks for the advice, I'd have been buying a sander for £100 without your comments.

Cheers

Edward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back