United Kingdom
Hi, I have one of the R29, boilers fitted on an open system. The

boiler is about 4 to 5 years old and when the first fitted I had

numerous problems with the heat exchanger failing due to overheating

and burning inside black inside.

After the third replacement. I got an electrician to fit a 'pump

overrun in order to keep taking away the water after the boiler had

stopped burning to ensure no overheating

This is worked fine for about three or four years. However now I have the boiler switching on getting up to temperature circa 85° or so and then switching off.

The result is that the hot water is working fine and the radiators upstairs are also warm (not overly hot). However, the radiators downstairs virtually cold. There is only one zone for the whole heating system. The pump certainly is running as I can hear it and feel it vibrate

I have examined every single radiator and there are no air blockages in any of the individual radiators. I also run a tiny amount of water from the bottom of the system and there doesn't seem a blockage here either

I think the heating valve appear to be working ok and so does the hot water so not sure what it can be??

My thoughts were either of the following:

1) An air blockage, however, there is no air in the radiators and the cold water tank is all functioning correctly . So can I rule this out???

2) The pump could be working but not drawing sufficient hot water away from the boiler, thus causing it to overheat & shut down - could this be the case?? Is there anything I can do to check the pump is actually working correctly before I replace it???

3) If I switch the 'H' valves to manual and left open would this rule these out as an issue if the problem persisted??? - One of the 'H' valve electric box tops seems to be hot long after it has been taken from from system (hot pipes) - could this be telling teh system to shut down??

Any other thoughts???

I would appreciate any help given

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Put a new pump on - only took 5 minutes and all working perfect

Hope this helps someone in teh future

Look at FAQ and do the finger test to see if pump is working.

But you changed the pump first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back