Bosch 15ri boiler humming at Pump Start Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Last year I had a new Bosch 15 ri boiler fitted and I've noticed that when the room stat kicks in and the pump starts up, it almost sounds like it has to have 2 attempts to start up before getting going. There are two short bursts of a low buzzing noise (the sort of noise an electric motor might make when under a lot of load) then finally it settles down and pumps 'reasonably quietly' ie a quiet humming noise from the motor and the noise of constantly rushing water through the rads with the very occasional quiet knock which I can't seem to get rid of despite bleeding each rad, the cylinder vent and the new filter many times.

I notice the pumps electrical supply comes from the boiler, is this apparent three stage start up normal ? It's load enough to be quite annoying early in the morning.

Fwiw - the fitter was unable to fit the pump in the same location as before so instead of being under the boiler it's now above the boiler, upstairs under the floor boards (not my preferred location but the valves are there so I can live with that). As I mention there has also been a magnetic filter fitted to the system which I have cleaned out several times. 2 new two way valves were installed at the same time, new radiators and a manual tank vent and everything appears to work normally.

The system was thorough flushed several times over before and after installation.

All advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Update: The noise isn't coming directly from the pump. It comes from the boiler. (3-4 short bursts of low humming shortly after the pump starts).

I've reduced the pump speed to 1 which has significantly reduced the noise. This has also allowed me to fully bleed the system of air so I presume that having the pump set to 3 was drawing air in - hopefully it remains this way in the long term.

The system is very quiet now once running. I will get the gas fitter to check the humming when he services the boiler in a few months.

(perhaps it just doesn't know the words... :rolleyes: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back