humming pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a conventional boiler (ideal mexico RS60) with gravity hot water. The last couple of years we've noticed we get woken by the central heating coming on. It's just a humming really not a loud noise at all, we only really notice it in the quiet mornings but it tends to wake us/the kids up.

It may be just one of those things.

Anyway I read about and some people recommended turning the pump speed. We have an easily accesible pump so I've turned it down from 3 to 2, the noise seems improved and all radiators are hot.

My question is - can turning it down have detriment to the system?? If so I'd just put it back and live with it for now (we are planning new system with a new house extension next Spring).

System serviced last week btw - my wife forgot to mention the noise (which demonstrates it's not a huge problem) but all was OK with the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Leave the pump on 2, this is probably the right setting if your radiators are still hot. You could even try turning the pump down to one and see if all he radiators still get hot. This will make the pump even quieter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back