Vibrating/Humming noise when boiler starts up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2yr old Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDI boiler, and two heating circuits (one for downstairs and one for upstairs). When the boiler was installed we also had some additional TRVs installed along with a Megaflo, so quite a lot of changes were made to the existing pipework.
Last winter we noticed a humming noise that lasted for the first 10 minutes of the heating coming on. It is very loud, sounds like an aeroplane overhead. After a service it was less noticeable.
This winter it is worse, sometimes lasting 20 minutes. Our bedroom is next to boiler room and it wakes us up every morning and we cannot sleep until it finishes. You can hear the vibration through the bed and if you stand in front of the boiler you can feel the floor vibrating.
The noise only happens when the ground floor heating circuit starts up so far and only occurs when the boiler heats up after a long spell of being off, so we don't hear it much during the day.
Worcester Bosch insist it is not the boiler, my own heating engineer has changed the pump and changed the bypass valve, rebalanced all rads, it didn't help. In fact it seems to have got worse. I have also wrapped pipe insulation foam around the pipes to and from the boiler but it doesn't help.

Has anyone had a similar experience of a loud vibration noise during the warm up cycle (it seems to be loudest when the temperature is between 71 and 76 and disappears after that)? Thank you for any advice

Sponsored Links
possibly motorised valve back to front, noises are one of the hardest faults without seeing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back