Humming loud noisy potterton combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years my potterton combi boiler has become annoyingly loud that when boiler is on it makes me want to turn it off. Sometimes there is a slightly different pitch to the noise and I can get rid of that noise by just compressing something against the side of cover of the boiler this temporarily stops the vibration kind of noise. But the loud humming noise is always there. I have boiler cover but last time I mentioned it they said they can't do anything about that but it's so loud that even my neighbours can hear my boiler lol. Is there anything they can check?

Sponsored Links
Will be fan or pump, they are prone to case vibration noise try some packing on outer case to try and help

Over the years my potterton combi boiler has become annoyingly loud that when boiler is on it makes me want to turn it off. Sometimes there is a slightly different pitch to the noise and I can get rid of that noise by just compressing something against the side of cover of the boiler this temporarily stops the vibration kind of noise. But the loud humming noise is always there. I have boiler cover but last time I mentioned it they said they can't do anything about that but it's so loud that even my neighbours can hear my boiler lol. Is there anything they can check?
well get the lazy barsteward back and tell them you want it sorted

well get the lazy barsteward back and tell them you want it sorted

I've booked in a repair for next week because the boiler pressure is like yoyo. I've put the noise problem in the notes too. So I'll have them look at it when they come. Hopefully they don't try and fob me off with some story about it being an old boiler pump being old causing noise. I'm paying a monthly fee for the cover so I would think if pump is noisy then they should change it

Sponsored Links
I've booked in a repair for next week because the boiler pressure is like yoyo. I've put the noise problem in the notes too. So I'll have them look at it when they come. Hopefully they don't try and fob me off with some story about it being an old boiler pump being old causing noise. I'm paying a monthly fee for the cover so I would think if pump is noisy then they should change it
I totally agree, you are paying for boiler cover so stand your ground, which company do you have the cover with

I totally agree, you are paying for boiler cover so stand your ground, which company do you have the cover with

The cover is with domestic & general directly through baxi. I took out the plan through baxi themselves who work with D&G

Last edited:
The cover is with domestic & general directly through baxi. I took out the plan through baxi themselves who work with D&G
Yes lots of manus do it that way, just tell them to sort it or you will complain to both Baxi and D&G, dont listen to any rubbish about it being an uneconomical repair, just stand your ground and say well if you cant fix it, get someone who can, it is likely to be something very simple

Yes lots of manus do it that way, just tell them to sort it or you will complain to both Baxi and D&G, dont listen to any rubbish about it being an uneconomical repair, just stand your ground and say well if you cant fix it, get someone who can, it is likely to be something very simple

Thank you. Will do that and report back :)

Thank you. Will do that and report back :)
To be fair the manu and D&G set up is pretty good, because you have 2 points of pressure when they are not providing the service that you are paying for

It's been running quiet for a few days but today when radiators reached temperature I was getting a sort of humming sound again. A slightly different pitch. At the boiler end it doesn't sound very loud but upstairs through the pipework it sounds bad. It would make the noise for a little bit then stop then start again after a bit. In particular I could hear it from the downstairs WC so while the noise was happening, I just turned the TRV ever so slightly on that WC radiator and the noise disappeared instantly. The TRV was on the max notch, so i turn it down (not even one mark, probably half a mark, every so slightly so shouldnt make huge temperature difference to the radiator I hope).

slightly different pitch. At the boiler end it doesn't sound very loud but upstairs through the pipework it sounds bad. It would make the noise for a little bit then stop then start again after a bit. In particular I could hear it from the downstairs WC so while the noise was happening, I just turned the TRV ever so slightly on that WC radiator and the noise disappeared instantly. The TRV was on the max notch, so i turn it down (not even one mark, probably half a mark, every so slightly so shouldnt make huge temperature difference to the radiator I hope).

The TRV has been installed at the wrong end of the radiator, so will need to be swapped to the other end.

Has your yoyo pressure been sorted out?

The TRV has been installed at the wrong end of the radiator, so will need to be swapped to the other end.

Has your yoyo pressure been sorted out?

TRV on the wrong end? Seriously? it's been like this since the property was built 11 years ago. It was a new build and all the TRV's are on the right. The only radiator that doesn't have TRV is the passage one near the thermostat.

Regarding the yo-yo pressure yes that seems to have been solved with re-pressurized expansion vessel.

So TRVs are supposed to be on the flow line not return? With the exception of bidirectional TRVs I read. My TRVs are Myson brand 2 way TRV. Is that bidirectional? How do you know which end is flow and which end is return? One side heats up quicker than other side when boiler is turned on is that the flow?

TRV on the wrong end? Seriously? it's been like this since the property was built 11 years ago. It was a new build and all the TRV's are on the right. The only radiator that doesn't have TRV is the passage one near the thermostat.

Yes, seriously. A few TRV's can be fitted in either the flow, or return pipe. Others are only designed to be fitted in the flow pipe of the radiator. Flow can be at either end of the radiator, it is nothing to do with left or right end. You can tell which end is the flow, by feeling the pipes as the heating comes on - flow will initially be much hotter than the return pipe.

There is not much you can do about the noise, until the valve is fitted on the correct end, or a bi-directional one fitted to replace it, apart from keep adjusting it when the noise starts up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back