Bosch Classixx WAE28368gb washing machine tripping power. HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Bosch Classixx washing machine model WAE28368gb that keeps tripping the power circuit during wash cycles. It starts off filling the machine then cuts out after a few turns and sometimes even before it starts to spin. If I turn the mains power back on the washing tries to continue but trips again almost straight away.

I manage to get the washing machine to empty the water & open the door if i turn it to spin, rinse or drain. It spins without cutting out even on the superquick 15 minute setting with rinse hold. Only the wash cycles make the machine cut out. Cold cycle, fast cycle and normal 40 degrees all make the machine cut out. I have tried replacing the plug fuse & used different sockets. Also I didn't detect much rubbish in blocking the drain valve at the bottom right. The machine is under 4 years old.

I can do general electrical repairs and troubleshooting & I am able to replace any part required. I've done basic checks for loose wiring. It doesn't seem like a major fault to have to throw it away or even spend loads on paying an engineer plus parts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What electrical device is tripping? Fuse, MCB, RCD, RCBO etc.
As the machine does not trip on spin cycle, I would eliminate motor as an issue. Very likely the heater.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. It's the RCD on the consumer unit that keeps flipping down. Can't see sparks when lid is up.

Would it still engage the heater if the machine is set to cold wash with spin hold?

At which point would the heater get engaged and what's the best way to test or confirm it is faulty?

If the RCD is tripping then it could be either live or neutral side of the element is shorting to earth, if as it sounds, the neutral side is earthing then a cold wash will make no difference. Remove the wires from the element & insulate them with tape then try a cycle again. If it is OK then it is in all likelyhood the element that has failed. It is a common fault with appliances. The problem with elements shorting is that often the resistance is not measurable with a multi-meter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JJ. I've seen the video on replacing the heat element. Looks simple enough. But how do I know if it's definitely the element or and not just the small thermostat/sensor on it? Also can the thermal fuse be replaced?

You can test the thermostat & fuse for continuity with a multimeter, but they will not cause the tripping.

Well I unplugged the thermostat sensor from the element and the washing machine washes the full cycle fine but obviously without heating the water. I then pulled out and cleaned the thermostat sensor which was covered in a bit of scale and pushed it back. When I started a wash cycle the machine cut out again. I tested it again with just the thermostat sensor and earth cable plugged in (just removing the blue and green plugs on the element). The machine washed fine but didn't wash didn't come to an end with the timer continuously showing 1 minute left.

So problem is definitely the sensor or the element. I'm thinking of buying a sensor for under £10 first as the element is much more costly.

In the mean time is it ok to leave the sensor unplugged and connect the single water hose to the hot water outlet instead of cold? I have a combi boiler so I should still be able to use the machine to do my washing with heated water until I change the parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back