Bosch DW repair rant

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
C

Captain Nemesis

Did one on mine a couple of days ago. Had to trash a perfectly good pump because the heating element is integrated into it, and that had failed.

Quite a common problem from what I can gather.

Environmentally sound? Part of sustainable product design? I dont think so.

And on the subject of design, the side panel is held on with 3 screws.

All different. One s/t, and two machine screws of different lengths.

I mean, seriously, WT*? o_O

:mad::mad:

Sponsored Links
A dishwasher is a perfect example of a product where the company have massive incentives to not actually make parts of it themselves.

This leads to... Unintentional bad design. Because Bosch themsleves don't understand how their dishwasher was made.

Combining the element and pump might save raw materials, differing lengths of screws might save metal.

Built in obsolescence seems to be a problem. As does making maintenance and access to machines for that purpose.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Until the first time a combined item has to be replaced in its entirity.

A couple of mm?

Literally yes. Image you had to make a dishwasher from scratch. Of course it's very tempting to say not source your own materials and build your own individual compontents. Why would you? Your an expert in dish washing not electronic switches! Take the on off switch. So you just buy an off the shelf switch that's the pinnacle of the switches companies many years of R&D and cost saving design, able to deliver you 10,000s of switches at minimum cost and material use - giving you a cheap and functional switch to use in your larger product...

But at that point you have lost any iterative control over what makes the switch... Say the screws invovled.

So the switch company may well save fractions of a penny, on them - because for their component, it's a much higher % of the cost and they don't need those mm's.

Until the first time a combined item has to be replaced in its entirity.

A couple of mm?

Shared components and reduction of the suppliers carbon footprint would be relevant as well.

Many tens of millions of screws will be needed for production, so a win for the Bosch sustainability team and a saving for the bean counters.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back