bosch jigsaw straight cut guide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know where i can get a guide for straight cuts using a bosch jigsaw? know these exist, you attach them to the jigsaw and they hold the side of the wood being cut so it goes in a straight line, any help??

Sponsored Links
The fences you attach tend to be limited as they are not that long and will run parallel to the edge they are running against - so if your edge is not square (or whatever angle you wish) from the adjoining sides, it will only be a duplication of what was there to start with.

A much better alternative is to use some quick clamps and a straight edge. There are quick clamping guides which combine the convenience mentioned in a purpose made device - though if you already have a spirit level and some clamps around, you already have enough. Simply measure the points along the line, clamp the spirit level to the board with the right offset measurement from the line to allow for the width of the Jigsaw shoe edge to blade edge.

Not sure how long a cut you are making, though jigsaws tend to wander as blades heat and bend, a cicruclar saw is a much better option for straight line cutting if at all possible.

I've used the clamped straight edge approach, but with my jigsaw, this results in the blade being bent significantly towards the straight-edge - very unhelpful. I don't know if this is a defect somewhere in my saw (it happens with any blade I put on), or if other people find this. I normally end up just concentrating hard on the line and doing it freehand.

Sponsored Links
I've used the clamped straight edge approach, but with my jigsaw, this results in the blade being bent significantly towards the straight-edge - very unhelpful. I don't know if this is a defect somewhere in my saw (it happens with any blade I put on), or if other people find this. I normally end up just concentrating hard on the line and doing it freehand.

i call this crabbing

its very hit and miss with jigsaws [probably 50/50]as to weither they cut in a line
most crab within around 2 degrees any more than around 0.5 will cause the blade to wander offline and make them unsuitable for batton or guide use

Jigsaws are not ideal for cutting long straight lines , you need a circular saw.They are called Jigsaws for a very specific reason.~~~~

Jigsaws are not designed for long straight cuts, blades get too hot and flex, users try to push the machine along as it is slow to cut, wrong blades are frequenly used. Go buy/hire a circular saw or router, if this is not an option check that you have the correct blade that is in good nick and take your time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back