Bosch KGV33V10GB fridge freezer not cooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night my fridge started making a very loud buzzing/ slight grinding noise. I switched off the fridge left it two minutes and switched it back on to find it was silent again so I left it overnight.

I came down this morning and the fridge appears to be warming up, the relay clicks in roughly every 5-10 minutes the compressor does a low hum for about 10 seconds and then the relay clicks off and everything goes silent.

I have tested resistance of the compressor and got a value of 38 between the bottom two pins and 18 ohms for the other two pairs. I know the values of two pairs should add up to the third but is this high resistance as I was lead to believe it would be between 4-10 ohms? There is infinite resistance between the three terminals to the compressor chassis and the starter relay gave me a resistance reading of 12 ohms which I think is about normal.

I discharged and tested the capacitor and that gives constant infinite resistance with no deflection and no continuity so I'm guessing that is definitely knackered?

Sponsored Links
The grinding noise is a worry - but it then went quiet?

If we ignore the grinding noise for the moment, it may well be the start relay intermittently sticking on the start winding.
I think I'd change the start relay and capacitor initially. If the problem then persists, the compressor is probably beginning to seize.

Can't say on the compressor winding resistance without the comp spec.
I could probably help you find a new relay and capacitor without getting ripped off by online domestic spares sites.

For example, the stat on my fridge failed recently. Online price from domestic spares sites was around £40 + delivery.
I got mine from one of our account suppliers for £15..same stat!!

Thanks for your reply it may have been a really loud buzzing rather than a grinding noise if that makes more sense? I am going to a local electronics shop tomorrow to try to purchase a new capacitor how much are they roughly? the capacitor is 4uf and part number is en60252.

As for the starter relay where would be the best place to get one from and is there a part number for it?

The loud buzzing would suggest a dodgy start relay.
The capacitor? - maybe a fiver?, but I'm going by what we would pay, being in the trade.
I can't help you on the relay unless you give me the model number of the compressor - as much detail from the data plate as possible.

Perhaps post a pic of the compressor data plate?

Sponsored Links
Its a Jiaxipera ZBS1114CY, 220-240V 50hz, 102 watt, 0.48A comp. Where would I be able to find the specs for the resistance for this compressor?

Don't worry about the winding resistance at the moment. I don't think that's the issue.
I'll look into the compressor relay for you. That's a Chinese compressor. You may have to wait until I'm in the office on Monday, as I'm sure it has a rebadged equivalent. I'll need access to my tech info to confirm.

Does the fridge state the refrigerant as R600?

Thanks,

Will look into it Monday for you.
Give me a nudge if I forget....
Also, post up if the capacitor made a difference. It is a start capacitor on those (not run), so you could be lucky and that's the issue. In saying that, capacitors are generally way less prone to failure than the relay..

Yeah at first I thought it must be the starter but getting zero continuity and infinite resistance on the capacitor made me doubt it and for that price I might as well replace it. Here's to hoping it works.

You need to discharge the capacitor first. Set meter to ohms.
Then connect meter to terminals. If the capacitor is ok, the reading will start low and creep to infinity.
If it's infinity (no deflection at all) then I'd suspect the capacitor has failed.

Hi Fender,

Sorry about my late reply I've literally just got the capacitor today and I've plugged it in and it is not working still. surprisingly the new capacitor shows no deflection on my multimeter either :S so I'm wondering if the multimeter is the problem (it measures resistance on other things ok). Have you managed to find a suitable relay as that will have to be my next step and I'm desperate to get the fridge working again.

Hi everyone,

Whilst waiting for Fender to reply I spoke to my local appliance shop and they said the relay would be a special order item and could take upto 6 months! surely this can't be true? Is there anyone who might be able to help me track down a relay for this fridge as I have googled and searched to no avail and I'm running out of options. The relay has a parts code of 6sp9015 and it is identical to this:

bosch-siemens-h%C5%B1t%C5%91szekr%C3%A9ny-ind%C3%ADt%C3%B3rel%C3%A9-6sp9015.jpg

bosch-siemens-h%C5%B1t%C5%91szekr%C3%A9ny-ind%C3%ADt%C3%B3rel%C3%A9-6sp9015.jpg

I have heard about 3 in 1 starting systems which look to be used in a lot of american fridges can we get them/use them over here? Also just as a last resort is there anyway to bridge the broken part of the relay to temporarily get the fridge going until I can get a new relay? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate,

Sorry, had a forum break.....
6 months?......hmm
Leave it with me, may take until Monday though.
Sure I'll sort something for you. I may find you a universal equivalent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back