BOSCH MAXX Tapping noise when spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this machine trouble free for ten years - so can't really complain. Recently it has developed a tapping noise which gets faster and louder as the spin speed increases (doesn't happen on wash cycles, only when the drum begins to rock when spinning). Took top off and checked that nothing was fouling the sides, but when innards are moved to the right the click occurs. Judging from where the sound comes from I think it may be the bottom shock absorber making the noise as it flexes sideways. The anchor points are sound and rubber bushes intact. The machine is in the garage so noise doesn't bother us. However, is there a potential disaster ahead? Will shock absorber collapse? I would replace the shocker, but while the end anchored to the machine is a straightforward nut and bolt job, the anchorage at the drum looks a little more complex. Is it a viable do-it-yourself job?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a bra wire or similar between the two drums but generally you will hear that all the time.

With the drum empty can you lift the inner drum up at all at the front edge while keeping the outer drum still?

Thanks fo your input.
Don't think the bra wire theory can be right. The drum spins without any noise when washing or when I turn it by hand when it's empty. I can produce the noise, as I said, by gently rocking the whole unit inside when I remove the machine's top panel. In fact, if I remove the small inspection panel at the back of machine I can press the drive belt to the left and get the same noise as the drum sways. I am almost convinced it is the bottom strut/shock absorber that clicks as it moves laterally.

E Number is:- WFL2260UK/12 FD 8107 601828.

Sponsored Links
Is the machine leveled off ok & is there any up/down slack on the drum? With the top off check the suspension springs haven't started to "eat" their way through the plastic lugs on the tub. Poor friction shockers are often difficult to diagnose, you could try pushing the tub down then release it to see if it bounces up & down, or just rises up again as if it has some resistance. The shockers are easy to change (providing you don't have a welded tub).

The machine is in the same spot it has occupied for ten years, and it's level. Had top off already - no wear at spring fixing points. Pressed drum down through front loading opening the drum goes up and down without problem. The noise definitely comes from the bottom where the shockers are. The two shockers are attached to the machine base by a standard nut and bolt, but the drum end is fixed by a sort of pin arrangement with a plastic domed cap over one end. Looks like it could be a 'special tool' situation.

Yes - the more input the better! Always possible that someone, somewhere has had the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back