Bosch washing machine - stale smelling clothes; rinsing hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of problems with my Bosch washing machine, and think they might be related. I can live with some of the symptoms!

1. clothes come out of the machine hot and steaming- whether on 40 or 60 deg. They should be rinsed cold, I thought.
Machine is plumbed into hot & cold feeds. Taps (connected to same feed) work fine.

2. clothes come out of the machine smelling stale / musty, even if immediately removed once cycle has finished.
The waste is connected through U pipe to a sink waste - the sink waste seems to work fine.

3. (minor!) the middle powder tray (for fabric conditioner) is always full of water after a wash. Easy to remove, but not sure if it is symptomatic of a deeper problem.

Any suggestions would be welcome. The machine has pretty full workload with our young (mucky) family!

Sponsored Links
Tried soda crystals (twice) - no difference
Tried shutting off the hot feed - so the machine was running only on cold - and it worked OK but gave me a flashing light at the end.
Checked the waste - definitely goes through a proper u bend so should have a proper water trap to stop the air smells from drain.

????

pull out the drawer and scrub it with hot water. You will probably find the conditioner tubes are clogged with slimy old powder and mildew. Pull the top of the conditioner compartment open to clean out the tubes. Observe carefully how the larger tube fits round the smaller tube so you can reassemble it correctly.

Scrub out the hole the drawer slides into. You can use a kitchen spray with bleach to kill the mildew, after it is dead it will clean away easier.

Clean round the door and seal.

Do a couple of HOT washes with no added powder. You can put some cotton towels in. This will wash away accumulated soap deposits.

Check the instructions and see if you have been using excessive amounts of powder.

Pull the plug on a full sink a few times wih the washer door open and see if you can hear or see or smell any sink waste running down the washer waste pipe into the washer.

A while back the girlfriend's washing machine was doing hot rinses - Found out the hot and cold connections were reversed.

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
A while back the girlfriend's washing machine was doing hot rinses - Found out the hot and cold connections were reversed.
Bingo - I've just done this and then checked your post.

Solves the hot rinse issue!
Also found a 5p piece (looking very very sorry for itself and more copper than silver) in the tubes leading to the pump. I'm sure that won't have helped with draining the water away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back